Feb 24, 2010

Some Good Does Come Out of Social Media

Jay Smooth - How to Tell People They Are Racist

Hello world.

As part of the administration at a public university, I get invited to a lot of meetings and events. Today, for example, I got invited to a speaker who talked to us about embracing our uniqueness and unpacking our social baggage. He spoke about understanding what makes us 'us' and recognizing those same unique qualities in others. He was a fabulous speaker by the name of Vernon Wall. Google him.

Anyway, by far the most resonating part of Vernon's presentation was when he introduced me (and about 60 of my colleagues) to a man by the name of Jay Smooth. Jay Smooth is a hip-hop blogger and radio host out of New York. What caught my eye the most is how Jay makes a case for social issue that exist both inside and outside the hip-hop spectrum. He touched on issues like race, homophobia, American tradition, and how important it is to know what you're saying BEFORE you say it.

I urge everyone to check him out. He's got a Youtube page, and for anyone who's like you, you'll be clicking on all his videos for the next hour or so. I also suggest you check out his website Ill Doctrine, where there is a larger and more diverse collection of his videos.

I won't say too much about why I have become his newest fan/groupie. I'll let you figure that out on your own. So, enjoy, my loves.

No comments: